Ruprecht-Karls-Universität Heidelberg
COS Heidelberg Banner

Master Molecular Biosciences


Expenses and Funding



Students must pay a standard fee of € 142.30 to the services of the student board (Studierendenwerk) for common facilities.

International students from non-EU (European Union) and non-EEA (European Exonomic Area - Iceland, Lichtestein, Norway) countries with a foreign university entrance qualification will be required to pay a tuition fee of 1500 Euro per semester for Master's degree programmes at all institutions of higher education in Baden.Württemberg. More information is available here.

Costs for housing and living

Living expenses in Heidelberg are estimated to be around € 550  to € 750 per month for a single person, depending on life style. Rent for an appartment off-campus will cost approximately € 300 to € 500 per month.

Non-EU, non-EEA nationals, please note: You will have to provide proof that you are able to cover living costs of at least € 8000 per year for the duration of your stay in Heidelberg (usually 2 years) in order to receive a visa. This does not include your travelling expenses - they are extra. You have to either provide evidence for an appropriate income, a stipend or in the form of money deposited in a special account, so that it can't just be taken out again after you get the visa! Since that takes time to arrange, you will need to have the money in August. See the site of the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) for further information.


External sources of funding

Prospective international Students are encouraged to apply for fellowships or grants from national, international, industrial, or foundation sources for which they may be eligible. This includes the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) or European Union exchange programmes  such as Erasmus. Notification of external awards should be included with your application for graduate study or sent when awards are announced.


Working in Heidelberg

You can apply to work for up to 40 hours a month in a Heidelberg lab. This is called a "HiWi" job (Wissenschaftliche Hilfskraft). Because of time constraints and other reasons, cannot earn more than about € 4000 a year this way, so you will still need to have 4000 EUR of your own as well, for living expenses. To try to get a HiWi job, you should apply personally to the heads of labs that particularly interest you.

Jobs and side jobs are offered by the job exchange from Studierendenwerk, Carrer Service and via internet.



Some rooms are available from the student board (Studierendenwerk). The number of available rooms depends on the number of applications per semester. Therefore, students who wish to make use of the halls should apply immediately after being notified of their acceptance into the program. The student board also offers an "Service Package" for international students that includes housing for 6 months, public transportation, campus card (e.g. for meal payment in canteens) and a weekend-excursion to Munich, as well as additional services (depending on the chosen package) such as health insurance and transfer from Frankfurt airport. Costs start at €2.400,- (plus 100,- Euro deposit for the room in the dormitory). It is an good deal and international students should try to get one of these packages if possible.

The Office of International Relations (Akademisches Auslandsamt) will also help students to find housing. In addition it offers an orientation programme and counseling with regard to many topics. Alternatively you can search the private housing market.

/var/www/cos/ / Master Molecular Biosciences _e