Ruprecht-Karls-Universität Heidelberg
COS Heidelberg Banner

COS PhD Program

Students from abroad are strongly encouraged to inquire about the entrance (VISA) requirements for traveling to Germany at the local embassy.

For any visa application, it may be critical to provide proof of sufficient financial resources (Finanzierungsnachweis). If you are a citizen of the European Union (EU) or the European Economic Area (EEA), your personal identification card (or comparable proof of identity) is sufficient for entry into Germany. Doctoral candidates who do not come from one of the EU or EEA countries must apply for a residence permit before their entrance visa expires.

Applications for a residence permit must be submitted to the foreigners' office (Ausländeramt) located in the candidate's place of residence in Germany. The residence permit is generally valid for one year and can be extended for a maximum of two more years if the candidate’s doctoral work is progressing according to plan and the candidate continues to have sufficient financial resources.


For further information, please refer to Chapter 2 ("Entering and Residing in Germany") of the Graduate Acadamy Information Brochure for International Students (available in the Download Section).

/var/www/cos/ / COS PhD Program _e