PhD-Students at COSPhD studies

The Centre for Organismal Studies offers attractive opportunities for PhD work with excellent training and research in organismal, molecular and cellular biology, biochemistry, developmental and evolutionary biology. Scientific work is based on state-of-the art methodological platforms including bioimaging, structural biology and functional genomics.

 COS welcomes students from Germany and from abroad who hold a Master's degree (or equivalent) in life sciences, chemistry, medicine, or related fields.

To do your  PhD at COS you must apply to the Heidelberg Biosciences International Graduate School (HBIGS). All HBIGS courses are held in English.


PhD student example


You need to get enrolled (in this order) at the HBIGS PhD offices, at the Faculty of Biosciences, and, optionally, at Heidelberg University. Students from abroad may additionally need to apply for visa and/or residence permits. A guideline outlining these procedures is provided by the Graduate Acadamy of Heidelberg University.

For more information about the enrollment procedures consult the links provided.